Feature articles in Grandview ThisWeek Newspaper
Weekly Moment in Time Column

February, 2008 - August, 2008

View previous 6 months
August, 2007
- February, 2008

Click on an image to view a larger version

2/13 -Whizzer bicycle 2/20 Lyman Markel 2/27 Black Mask Honorary 3/6 Circus wagon
3/13 Edison classrooms 3/20 1926 football team 3/27 Rook cabin and 1949 seniors 4/2 Indian Village
4/9 Nancy Skeele 4/16 C. E. Silbernagel Residence 4/23 Julius Keitz Campaign 4/30 GHHS Baseball - 1922
5/7 Dr. Young Residence 5/14 Merry-Go-Round 5/21 1916 Senior Class Play 5/28 Elliot Children
6/4 Salzgaber Harvest 6/11 John Price Classmates 6/18 Alleyne Higgs 6/25 GHS Study Hall
7/2 GHS Payroll Ledger 7/9 Masters-Tucker house 7/16 High School Gym Addition 7/23 Timken Ad
  Whizzer Bicycle at Grandview Cycle
The Whizzer Motorbike Company began making motors that could be attached to standard bicycles in 1939. Usually attached to Schwinn bicycles, these kits included a two-horsepower flathead engine and associated drive accessories that allowed speeds over 30 mph. In 1948 they developed a complete motorbike, called the Whizzer Pacemaker (see ad at right). This photo shows the 1949 Pacemaker on display at Bob Hexter's Grandview Cycle. This $240 bike was equipped with many of the custom add-ons available from Whizzer, including the "studded" leather passenger seat, custom headlamp, rear kickstand, and a 2.5 HP 4-cycle engine that got 125 mpg. The bike was started by opening the exhaust and pedaling.
Back to top
  Lyman Markel
Lyman Markel, president of the 1917 GHHS senior class, was referred to affectionately as a “human dynamo” in his high school yearbook. Readers were advised to essentially get out of his way because he was a “busy man”. Even at an early age Lyman was adept at striking deals and fund-raising. As a teenage grocery clerk, he negotiated, on behalf of Reed’s Groceries, to trade toiletries for hams with the troops stationed at camp Willis in Upper Arlington during WWI. The yearbook citation also indicates that he was both the financial and business manager for the yearbook. After receiving his engineering degree from OSU Lyman continued to support his high school alma mater. He helped fund, design, and build the Rooks fraternity’s new clubhouse on Elmwood Avenue. In 1933 the engineering firm he was employed by was contracted by the school board to demolish the outdated Harding School. Lyman wrote in 1976 that he was put in charge of the project. It cost $300 to raze the building; he found a snake bullwhip in the rafters in the school basement during the demolition, a discovery that caused quite a sensation despite the board of education's best efforts to downplay it
Back to top
  Black Mask Drama Honorary
Grandview High School members of the 1925 Black Mask Honorary are pictured on the entry steps of the high school. According to the Highlander year book, the “Black Mask was an honor society organized at the high school in 1921 for the purpose of serving as an inspiration for the production of better plays and creating and developing individual talent in dramatics”. A requirement for induction was that an individual had to have a speaking part in at least one Dramatic Club Production. In 1921 there were eighty-three Dramatic Club members and the twenty-three of them shown here were distinguished by membership in the Black Mask. Three productions were staged that year: “Adam and Eva”, “Once in a Blue Moon”, and the senior class play “The Whole Town’s Talking”.
Back to top
  Circus wagon
The circus and circus parade projects have played a part in the curriculum at the elementary level in the Grandview city schools since 1928. In 1934, Arthur Murdock, dressed as a clown, and his pet dog (in the circus wagon) were part of a very elaborate study of circus animals and life that culminated in a production under the “Big Top” given for the public. Arthur’s father constructed the wagon and it was pulled by two students dressed as horses. The photograph is from the collection of Marvyth Bonham, who served as a teacher at Edison and R.L Stevenson for over 40 years. She donated her extensive photographic record of school activities to the Grandview Heights/Marble Cliff Historical Society in 1993.
Back to top
  Classrooms at Edison

Grandview’s first high school classes were conducted in the Harding School built on Fairview Avenue in 1896. There were only four classrooms and no indoor plumbing facilities. After the construction of the Grandview Elementary School (current east wing of Edison Intermediate Middle School) in 1912 some high school classrooms were provided in the basement of the elementary school. These photographs are from the 1917 high school yearbook and show the freshman and sophomore household economics (left) and the manual arts (right) classrooms. By 1920 the household economics room also functioned as the district’s cafeteria. Students helped with meal preparation and clean up, which by necessity was completed by noon so that the space could be used for teaching. The indoor restrooms in the new elementary school served the entire student body and also served as locker rooms for the athletic teams. The current high school was built in 1922 to alleviate overcrowding and provide more modern facilities.

Back to top
  1926 GHS football team
The Grandview High School football team from the 1926-27 school year is shown on the north end of the football field. Notice the goal posts, constructed of 4x4 posts bolted together, and the barn and outbuildings behind the house that was formerly located on the field. The houses to the right are some of the first along the Star Road (now North Star Road) to the west of the field. The high school is barely visible through the haze in the center of the photo. The coach of the team, C.V. Money is the tall man with the mustache in the center of the back row. The older man at the left is Zura Walter, the physics and chemistry teacher, and the man at the right is Dr. J.O. Stout, MD.
Back to top
  1949 seniors at Rook cabin
Eight seniors from the Grandview Heights High School Class of 1949 relax by the fire on the edge of the ravine behind the former Brotherhood of the Rook cabin.. Built in 1860, the cabin was originally the farmhouse of the Garrett Miller family and was located on their property between Cardigan and Fifth near Cambridge Blvd. It was dismantled, each log was tagged and the cabin was rebuilt in its original form on its new site on Wyandotte Road just south of Bluff. It served as the clubhouse of the Rook's fraternity from 1915 until 1920. The members and their fathers later built a house on Elmwood on a lot donated by Grandview founding resident George Urlin.
Back to top
  Indian Village
The "Indian Village Study" pictured above was produced by Grandview 2nd graders during the 1928-1929 school year. It contains miniature tepees and canoes and was displayed in what was then the small music room on the second floor of the original east wing of the Edison Intermediate Middle School building. This was the students' first experience with group projects and the first year the school district collaborated with Dr. Laura Zirbes, a pre-eminent professor in the College of Education at OSU. Laura Zirbes was a national leader in elementary education and reading instruction. She founded the elementary laboratory school at OSU and was a strong practitioner and promoter of the Progressive education philosophy.
Back to top
  Nancy Skeele
This photograph is from the GHMCHS Skeele collection and shows Nancy Skeele at the wheel of a car elaborately draped with crepe paper and flower garlands. Her passengers are not identified. The photograph is undated but the hobble skirt shaped Coke bottles on the wall in the foreground were used after 1917. The “M.C.” initials in the shield on the car door suggest that they participated in the local Field Day parade representing Marble Cliff. The Skeeles lived at 1492 Roxbury. Nancy’s son Bradley indicated in his memoirs that prior to WWI cars were a luxury and their use was limited to recreational driving partly because most of the roads were unpaved, full of ruts, and impassable seas of mud when wet. Car purchases were big news in the day. The April 15, 1906 Columbus Dispatch reported that local resident Carl Hoster purchased a $9,000 Fiat and a 35 horsepower Pope-Toledo. Samuel Prescott Bush, Eugene Gray, and Theodore Lindenberg followed suit and also purchased Pope-Toledos. George Urlin, however, bought a Frayer-Miller with a limousine body. Frayer-Millers were manufactured in Columbus. Mr. Hoster’s $9,000 purchase 102 years ago amounts to $205,000 in 2008 dollars. Interesting that he apparently was accustomed to purchasing his automobiles two at a time!
Back to top
  Silbernagel Residence
The Grandview home pictured above no longer exists. It was located on the east side of Ashland Avenue, south of first. It occupied the area that is currently the main entrance and rear parking lot of the Grandview Heights Public Library. The home was occupied by C. E. Silbernagel, his wife Evelyn, and their three children. Silbernagel was a pioneer ear, nose, and throat specialist in Columbus. He received his medical degree from the Starling Medical College in Columbus and maintained offices at East State Street. He was an active civic leader and was the first president of the Men’s Bible Forum of First Community Church. He was also a member of the Grandview Heights school board from 1922 to 1928 during a time of unparalleled growth and construction in the district. During his tenure as board president the school district actually ran out of money and had to close early.
Back to top
  Julius Keitz Campaign
The City of Grandview Heights election campaigns of 1947 were described in the October 22 Columbus Dispatch as, “ [one of] the wackiest political campaigns in recent years”. For example, mayoral candidate Julius B. Keitz circulated the above flyer. His platform included police, fire, health, recreation and safety issues, but his main promise was to provide citizens with the opportunity to wrap their garbage without any additional charge. Sixty years ago, prior to the development of garbage disposals or trash compactors, it was commonplace to wrap table scraps and other kitchen waste in used newspapers before placing it in the trashcan. While convenient for the homeowner this procedure required extra handling by sanitation workers who had to unwrap the garbage. His appeal to local housewives worked and he was elected mayor. He served one term from 1948-1952.
Back to top
  GHHS Baseball - 1922
When this photograph was taken in 1922 the GHHS baseball team was the youngest sport in the district. What had been a rather lackluster beginning changed with the arrival of Roy Ohnsman (left) a talented, strong, freshman pitcher. His back up pitcher was senior Nor Simons (right) who also played first base. By the time Ohnsman graduated, the GHS yearbook noted that the team was winning a majority of their games. The photograph is from the Alleyne Higgs Jones collection. The precise location of the photograph is not known but clearly indicates that residential streets were heavily rutted mud tracks.
Back to top
  Dr. Young Residence
The home of Dr. J.B. Young, 1180 Ashland Ave. was featured in the “Women and Society” section of the March 24, 1907 Ohio State Journal. The home was built for Dr. Young, a Columbus dentist and his fiancé, Clara Stanley. The house was built by Dr. Young’s father, a noted Columbus contractor, who also built the Casparis castle on Arlington Ave. The Youngs were married on March 22. Tragically, two days later Clara’s father, who had traveled from Virginia for his daughter’s wedding, suffered a massive heart attack and died in the kitchen of the house the same day it was featured in the paper.
Back to top
This sixty year-old photograph shows Grandview Elementary School second grade students operating a miniature merry-go-round they constructed in the spring of 1928. The caption indicates that the base was constructed of cardboard with animal crackers glued to the surface. The canopy was construction paper mounted on drinking straws. The base was attached to a sewing thread spool that was mounted on the center post of a record player. The carousel rotated on the turntable in sync with the music. The student operating the carousel is not identified. In this day of iPods most current second grade students have little notion as to the use of phonographs, 78-rpm records, or turntables.
Back to top
  1916 Senior Class Play

The photograph above, taken on May 11, 1916, shows the cast from the first GHS senior class play, entitled "Case of Suspension". The play was the first of two performed over two nights; "A Japanese Flower" was presented on May 12. Both productions were staged in the 350-seat auditorium in the Grandview Elementary School (currently the east wing of Edison Intermediate Middle School). Baccalaureate services for the Seniors were conducted two days later on May 14, followed by the unveiling of the Class Memorial on May 16. The actual commencement exercises occurred on May 17. Because there were only seven graduates, three underclassmen were needed to complete the cast for the senior play. The descendants of P.A. McCarty, the first high school principal, donated this photograph to the Historical Society.

Back to top
  Elliot Children
This photograph, taken in Marble Cliff around 1900, shows the Elliot family children. Their father John was a prominent butcher and elected as one of the trustees during the 1901 incorporation of the Hamlet of Marble Cliff. Our research indicates that the family initially lived in a farmhouse that was the first structure on the property which is the current site of the Our Lady of Victory Church. They subsequently moved to the northern edge of the Hamlet near King Avenue. Their daughter Mary presented this photograph to their neighbors, the Newhouses, who lived at 2020 West Third Avenue. Mr. Newhouse was stationmaster at Marble Cliff Station, which was located at the base of the hill at Fifth Avenue and Dublin Pike (Dublin Road).
Back to top
  Salzgaber Harvest
This photograph (taken in 1912) shows Clarence and Harry Salzgaber with newly harvested baskets of sweet corn. The Salzgaber family operated a truck farm and greenhouses in Grandview Heights on the east side of what is now Grandview Avenue. The family farmhouse still stands on the northeast corner of Grandview and First Avenue and is currently home to the Tri-Village photography studio. The Salzgabers provided vegetables for the stands at the Columbus Central Market and the North Market. When their Grandview acreage was sold for development in 1916 the family moved operations to Lane Avenue across from what is now the Lane Avenue Shopping Center. This photo and other Salzgaber memorabilia were donated to the Historical Society by Betty Salzgaber.
Back to top
  John Price Classmates
Beginning in 1902 Marble Cliff entrepreneur and real estate developer John E. Price began hosting annual reunions of his “upper-crust” grammar school classmates, all of whom attended the State Street Grammar School in downtown Columbus from 1857 to 1860. He owned the Marble Cliff Quarries and together with other family members platted the original development of Marble Cliff in 1889. Formal invitations were mailed, and a special streetcar brought the alumni to the Price mansion on the hill on the southeast side of the intersection of Fifth Avenue and the railroad tracks. The party then moved to the Arlington Country Club for dinner. The caricature above was from one such alumni gathering. “Princey Price” is pictured in the center. Other Columbus notables include L.D. Buttles, E. K. Stewart, James Miller, and numerous business titans of the period. John E. Price hosted the yearly gatherings until his death in 1914. His obituary mentioned he was the chief promoter of these alumni gatherings and indicated that the tradition would continue in his memory.
Back to top
  Alleyne Higgs
Alleyne Higgs (shown here in her graduation photo) and her family moved to their family home at 1219 Lincoln Road in Grandview Heights in 1906. She graduated from GHS in 1922 and married popular Grandview coach and principal Stanton Jones. Like many girls of the time, Alleyne gathered personal memorabilia in scrapbooks, beginning her collection in 1918 and ending only with her death in the 1980’s. Her collection was donated to the Historical Society in 2005 and constitutes the largest acquisition received to date by the Society. It consists of over 1,000 individual items, including over 200 obituaries of early Grandview residents, 500 newspaper clippings, and 200 original photographs, as well as graduation programs, play bills from high school plays, hand bills announcing sporting events, and assorted party favors and invitations. She was a charter member of the GHMCHS and was active during its formative years. The society is indebted to her and her family for their generous contribution.
Back to top
  GHS Study Hall
This undated photograph is from a recently acquired collection of memorabilia from the GHHS office. From the style of clothing it appears to date from the 1950s. It shows students listening intently to military recruiters in the large study hall originally present on the second floor of the high school. An army sergeant is addressing the students while a marine recruiter and an Air Force Staff Sergeant sit in the background. Recruitment speakers are still part of the GHHS experience. During this era the study hall was a mainstay of the high school schedule, and was a hub of activity both during and after school (for example, it was decorated for homecoming and football games.) Student “study hall checkers” monitored attendance. Scheduling of study halls has declined due to the current emphasis on students enhancing their college applications with more rigorous academic schedules and extracurricular activities. This large high school study hall has since been partitioned into several classrooms.
Back to top
  GHS Payroll Ledger
This ninety-three-year-old page from a Grandview Heights City School District payroll ledger documents the hours and wages for the employees for the month of September, 1915. Fourteen faculty members were employed and their daily pay ranged from $2.75 per day for elementary teachers (Lottie Vanderwort and Dolly Wren) to $11.11 per day for J.R. Clements, who was the district superintendent. P. A. McCarty, the high school principal, earned $7.22 per day. A separate scale for custodians indicates that Mr. Wagner made only seventy-five cents less than the lowest paid faculty member. When adjusted for inflation the $2.75 earned in 1915 is equal to $56 in 2008.
Back to top
  Masters-Tucker house
GHMCHS member and photography enthusiast, Galen Gonser took this photo on May 22, 1970. His caption indicates that is shows the Masters-Tucker house that stood on the west side of Dublin Road just south of the Dublin Road and Fifth Avenue intersection. It was a residence and subsequently an antique shop. The site is currently occupied by a Certified gas station. Galen indicates that he took the photo with an 1892 Kodak #2 Falcon Box camera, and a light leak in the old camera caused the bright spot in the center. The Historical Society welcomes an opportunity to scan, archive and publish any historical photographs that our readers might have access to. Please contact the GHMCHS at tdemaria@columbus.rr.com
Back to top
  GHHS Gymnasium Addition
Grandview Heights built the current high school in 1923, and the original building had the gymnasium on the first floor off the main corridor (where the current auditorium is located.) In 1945 an addition was proposed (top photo) that would house a memorial to the Grandview High School students who gave their life in World War II (shown in the rendering by Benham and Richards Architects at the top. The drawing appears to have a gymnasium located behind the memorial structure.) The bottom photo from 1957 shows the final construction stages of the current gymnasium located at the south end of the school. The architectural drawing is from a collection of materials that was recently recovered from a storage space in the high school.
Back to top
  Timken yearbook ad
The Timken Roller Bearing Co. was founded as a carriage works in St. Louis in 1899 by Henry Timken, onetime blacksmith. In 1902 he moved the company to Canton to be closer to the automotive industry, and opened the Columbus Bearing Plant on East Fifth in 1920. The company supported local schools, advertising in Grandview's yearbook with full page ads from 1951 to 1958. These ads reflected the patriotic nature of the Timken company, focusing mostly on bringing the "responsibility of voting" message to high school students. The ads also reflected the cold war fears of the time, as depicted in this 1951 ad.
Back to top






View next 6 months
August, 2008 - February, 2009

Go to Main ThisWeek Listing