Feature articles in Grandview ThisWeek Newspaper
Weekly Moment in Time Column

February, 2013 - August, 2013

View previous 6 months
August, 2012 - February, 2013

Click on an image to view a larger version


1/30 Blue Star Mothers

2/6 John and Margaret Hussey 2/13 Bobbie Shop 2/20 Cliff Heights Senior Center
2/27 David Mock 3/6 Caroline Thomas Harnsberger 3/13 Harriet Kirkpatrick 3/20 Mary Jean Bradley
3/27 Susan Swager 4/3 1963 GHHS Track Team 4/10 1945 Snowball Fight 4/17 Methodist Episcopal Church
4/24 Emily Peterson 5/1 1937 Class Reunion 5/8 1977 Home Tour 5/15 Grandview vs Bexley
5/22 Joe Duffee and Paul Ballard 5/29 New Streetsigns 6/5 Blanche Field 6/12 Robert Livingston
6/19 Tour de Grandview 6/27 Blue/Irwin Wedding 7/3 Suzie Hutchison 7/10 Recycling in 1942
  Blue Star Mothers
In February of 1942 mothers of servicemen responded to a newspaper request and an organization was formed. That organization was Blue Star Mothers of America, Inc. Today it continues as chapters have begun to increase In membership. Since the attacks on September 11, 2001 and hostilities in Iraq and Afghanistan, the members are still supporting each other and their sons and daughters who are protecting our country. Buckeye Military Moms, Chapter 9, was chartered in Columbus, February 15, 2007. The chapter offers families of service personnel an opportunity to stay connected, tell stories, show love and pride for their children serving their country. The national, as well as the local organization, is a non-profit, non-political, non-partisan organization. Projects are ongoing solicitation of donations and assembly of care packages for troops overseas and at home. Pictured here are Deb Waltz and Gail Smith, Grandview Heights members of Buckeye Military Moms Chapter 9. 
Back to top
  John and Margaret Hussey
John E. Hussey is pictured here with his wife Margaret on Catalina Island in 1957, the year before her death. They had been married for 68 years (their wedding photo from 1889 is inset.) Hussey was one of the first owners and builders in the Gladdington Heights subdivision, laid out by J.R. Tilton just before the turn of the century. Hussey purchased lots 505 and 506 and built his home, now at 1367 Wyandotte Road. Among his contributions was the founding of First Community Church, and he was the first Sunday School Superintendent. He attended the Columbus Art School (now the Columbus College of Art and Design) where he graduated in 1885, and then spent more than 25 years teaching drawing and design and serving as director and curator of the  school. He was a founding member of the Pen and Pencil Club and the first Chairman of the Columbus Art League. In 1920 he was asked to take the position of " assistant in Horticulture" at the Ohio State University, and he spent the next 26 years in that capacity. Hussey beautified the campus, designed campus gardens and developed OSU's own nursery. He also fashioned the first model of the stadium to carry out the ideas of the then building committee. A lifelong water colorist he had frequent exhibitions around Columbus. A hiking enthusiast, Hussey attributed his long life to his love of the outdoors. He died in November, 1969 at the age of 105.
Back to top
  Bobbie Shop
As Don M. Casto's new development on Grandview Avenue in Grandview Heights began to fill with retail stores, James Cardi was among the first to rent space in the historic "Bank Block." He is listed in the 1928 Columbus directory as James Cardi, Barber.  In an early newspaper ad, shown here, the shop advertised expert hair care for every member in the family. Cardi worked with his brother until 1967 when the business was sold to Tony Bonaventura. Soon Bob Tittle and Doug Phelps were brought in to the shop as barbers. In 1974 Tony turned the ownership of the business over to Doug and it continued, adding Brenda Geygan and Kathie Swanson. The women relate that early history says the shop was referred to as the "Bobbie Shop". After thirty years in the hair care business on Grandview Avenue the shop is now called The Village Squire Barber Shop (shown in the inset.)
Back to top
  Cliff Heights Senior Center
After meeting for seven years in the old fellowship hall of Boulevard Presbyterian Church, the Cliff Heights Seniors moved in to their new home at 1515 W. Goodale Boulevard.  The new building, designed by architects Abbot and Abbot, was officially opened for business on October 16, 1982 then being called the Grandview Heights Senior Center. Their regular monthly potluck was held before the October 16th dedication ceremony for the Seniors only and had almost a full house. The building, shown here as construction began, is owned by the city of Grandview Heights, who agreed to operate the facility for twenty years as a Senior Center (the inset shows Grandview seniors participating in the groundbreaking for the facility.) The city received a HUD Grant for $150,000 for community development. With funding from the State of Ohio, the Village of Marble Cliff, the city of Grandview, Northwest Kiwanis, Cliff Heights Senior Club and other private funds, the city of Grandview paid a little over $360,000 for the building. The offices for the Parks and Recreation administration are located on the east end of the building and the adjacency has been a big asset to the Seniors for 21 years that the Center has been in operation. The building is now under the management of Parks and Recreation, and continues to operate not just for Seniors but for the entire community, offering programs for all ages that speaks to the health, recreation and general welfare of the citizens of Grandview Heights and the surrounding communities.
Back to top
  David Mock
David Mock held his GHHS classmates in total captivation as he recounted his first-hand account of the bombing of Pearl Harbor on December 7,1941. "All day the sky swarmed with flashing enemy planes. Fire and smoke rose wildly from shattered homes and buildings."  He lived with his family near Pearl Harbor where they heard the first sounds of gunfire, at the time thinking it was only practice. As planes flew over and they became aware of the destruction around them, David and his father rushed to aid safety wardens and deliver newspapers. David Mock was a student at Grandview Heights High School at the time. John E. Hussey, David's grandfather, was one of the original land owners of Grandview Heights. The picture and story of David's experience was published in the Columbus Dispatch in December of 1944. Pictured here at Grandview Heights High School with David and Nancy Conner (both seated in center), are classmates Jackie Henderson,  Bill Arthur, Bill Wasem, Barbara Acton, Jean Young and Fred Hunt. They all served on the Highlander yearbook team.
Back to top
  Caroline Thomas Harnsberger
Caroline Thomas Harnsberger, born in 1902, lived with her family on her great grandfather's 358 acre farm covering most of the east side of what is now Grandview Heights. Their home was located on the hill above Goodale and Northwest Boulevards. Caroline was one of six children born to James O. Thomas and Edith Margaret Hiss Thomas. Caroline, pictured here sitting on the running board of her 1920's car, was an active swimmer in the "old swimming hole" located near Dublin Road and Grandview Avenue. She won several diving competitions held there. Caroline went on to garner many more accomplishments in her lifetime. She was educated at The Juilliard School of Music  and became a professional musician playing violin for the Chicago Women's Symphony and later with the Evanston Symphony, which she also helped establish. She was married at 23 in 1925, and as wife and mother she became a prolific author, publishing nine books on Mark Twain. She was one of the world's foremost Twain scholars. Among her published books was "A Pilot's Ready Reference Manual" . She obtained her pilot's license at the age of 50 in order to fly as co-pilot with her husband, Audley Harnsberger, and her two sons. That book sold more than 30,000 copies with 12 editions. Caroline returned to Grandview Heights after her husband's death and took up painting. She died in 1991 at the age of 89.
Back to top
  Harriet Kirkpatrick
Harriet Kirkpatrick, a fourth generation Ohioan, grew up in Columbus with her four brothers. After graduating from Columbus Central High School, Harriet began her art studies at Columbus Art School. She had her first exhibit in 1910 in Chicago. She had her first New York Art League Show in 1913. That same year she married William (Billiie) Kirkpatrick, became one of the pioneer residents of Grandview Heights and was hired as the art critic for The Ohio State Journal.  She founded the Ohio State Fair Exhibition and remained its director until 1927. Harriet began teaching privately from her home as well as at Columbus School for Girls to supplement her income when her husband died suddenly and left her with a teenage daughter to rear. After her retirement from CSG in 1946 she continued to teach from her home on Westwood Avenue. A group of Tri-Village women who attended Harriet's classes became known as the " Westwood Painters". Harriet continued with her art until her death in 1962. A reception was held earlier this month at First Community Church to celebrate the life and paintings of Harriet Kirkpatrick by her grandchildren, Pete Deihl and Sally Kriska who lived on Westwood Avenue with their grandmother.
Back to top
  Mary Jean Bradley
Mary Jean Bradley, pictured here, retired after 45 years at the Trading Post of Grandview's First Community Church. She was a volunteer for 10 of those years, starting as the Post's first coordinator in 1967, then was a paid staff member for the next 35 years. Bradley took over from a long line of volunteers from the Church Guild members who started the Trading Post as a mission of the church. In the early 1950s the women saw a need in the community to aid families with low cost clothing and home goods. It was also a way to supplement the church budget. The statistics for this operation are staggering. While accepting all items on consignment or donation, the income from sales has aided numerous other organizations. Thank you notes in a scrapbook have provided witness to donations to the Ohio Health Foundation, Life Care Alliance, Hospice of Medina County, Humane Society and Hope Emergency Program. First Community Church has received the majority of the profits from the Trading Post, but the hundreds of volunteers that have run this mission have benefitted from being part of a family of friends who have worked many hours together over many years. The Trading Post continues today at 1944 West First Avenue under the aid of able volunteer staff. The Post celebrates 60 years serving the Tri-Village area this year.
Back to top
  Susan Swager
Susan Swager, who was editor of the 1969 yearbook for Grandview Heights High School, is pictured here with her horse. One of her favorite pastimes was western style horseback riding. Her many other activities in high school included the Quill and Scroll Club, varsity volleyball and varsity track, and was a delegate to Ohio Girls' State. She was on the Homecoming Court  her senior year and was also awarded the P.T.A. General Scholarship. Susan was voted one of the outstanding seniors of the class of 1969 and spent her sophomore year studying in Switzerland.
Back to top
  1963 GHHS Track Team
The 1963 Grandview track team had difficulty winning meets, winning only two during the season. Distant runners Chuck Sweeney, Pete Shaw, Mike McSweeney and Jim Fais were among the runners that tallied most of the points for the team. Overall, the individual runners and field participants made great improvements through the season, thanks in large part to excellent coaching. Coaches Robin Priday and Clark Lawrence offered encouragement all season and helped produce a Grandview record breaking 880 relay team, made up of The 880 Relay Team was made up of Charles  Zimmerman, Dan Markin, Bill Gibbs and Jerry Lawson. Coaches Priday and Lawrence are shown here with Jim Fais helping Mike Patton with his start.
Back to top
  1945 Snowball Fight
The photo taken here appeared in the 1945 Highlander of Grandview Heights High School and shows high school students throwing snowballs in the playground at the south end of the stadium.  It was the fourth year of World War II and students helped with the Ration Board during school hours, officers were selected for each class and those elected attended the Leaders Club meetings. The high school band played for the football games, special events and dances. Homecoming queen Ann Harrold ruled with her court on a near perfect day with the Grandview football team taking the game from Westerville, 12-0. The class plays performed were 'Spring Fever' and 'Tiger House'. The marching band and orchestra, along with the boys and girls choruses, were the music makers for the year. Lowell Riley was director of the Boys Glee Club and Girls Chorus. The song 'Serenade in Blue' was performed by the Girls Chorus and won such acclaim at the U.S.O. performance that they were asked to repeat it at Lockbourne Air Base. As spring and graduation days approached the students of 1945 kissed the snow goodbye and welcomed flowers and future warmer days while singing praises such as  "You'll find us eager and ready, earnest and steady"  and "Let mirth and gladness banish all sadness, let gladness the moments prolong." 
Back to top
  Methodist Episcopal Church
The land for this church was legally recorded as the West Fifth Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church, which at the time was located at the north west corner of  West Fifth Avenue and North Star Road in April, 1891. This new land was provided by The  Reverend James S. Ricketts.  At the time the church was originally formed it met in private homes, until the Methodist Conference appointed the Reverend William C. Holliday as the first official minister. The membership grew and a chapel was built on the corner of West Fifth and North Star in 1902. The population of the area  and the membership grew and this new church building was erected in Grandview Heights on the corner of West First and Ashland Avenue. The name was changed to Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church. The time at this location covered World War l and the depression years and a name change to Grandview Methodist Episcopal Church. This congregation continued to grow under the leadership of Frederick Ross, who was appointed in 1922. 1939 brought Paul Rugg to the steadily growing congregation and in that year the decision was made to buy two lots at the corner of Cambridge and West Fifth. In the next ten years the lots were paid for and construction was started on the now Trinity Methodist Church, renamed once more. The first service in the new building was held September 30, 1951.Today's congregation enjoys new additions to the building and updates to offices and a still growing attendance to the church that started with 64 neighbors and is still named Trinity Methodist Church.
Back to top
  Emily Peterson
In the fall of 1925 Emily Peterson came to Grandview Heights High School as the physical education teacher and girls athletic director, bringing outstanding credentials with her. She had her B.S. in Physical Education from the University of Wisconsin and her M.A. from Columbia University. Her first teaching job brought the Bucyrus High School girls' basketball team a championship in 1925. At Grandview her teams' winning records continued for four consecutive years, permanently capturing the Ivah Hanning Trophy for these consecutive wins. During the 1930's "Pete" introduced field hockey and other new sports to Grandview, while also developing strong intramural programs. She organized and started the Girls Athletic Association, was the supervisor of homecoming celebrations, and taught health and managed the adult education program. Emily Peterson is in the Hall of Fame of Grandview Heights High School.
Back to top
  1937 Class Reunion
As summer approaches celebrations are being planned and class reunions are among the most popular celebrations. Pictured here are members of the  class of 1937, who attended the three-day 50th Reunion celebration in September of 1987.  Of the original seventy-five graduates, fifty were located and twenty-nine attended the reunion. Members traveled from California, Texas, Mississippi, South Carolina, Vermont, Maryland, Connecticut, Michigan and from many cities in Ohio to attend the festivities. The schedule of events included attendance at a Bobcat football game, "food and fun" at Presutti's Restaurant and a personally conducted tour by the then principal of the High School, Kevin Turner. Though fifty years older, class members were still "kids" to their former teachers, four of whom visited them at the reunion. As good-byes rang out at the farewell brunch, plans were already anticipated for the next reunion of the class of 1937. Information on memorable events comes from scrapbooks in the Grandview Heights/Marble Cliff Historical Society's Memory Books Collection.
Back to top
  1977 Home Tour
The first Home Tour sponsored by the newly organized Grandview Heights/Marble Cliff Historical Society was held on May 8th, 1977. The five homes that were featured were located throughout the Grandview/Marble Cliff area and were all built between the years 1892 and 1911. Bruce and Jan Tovell opened their home at 1101 Broadview Avenue for touring along with Bob and Ruth Fridenstein, 1085 Westwood Avenue, Mark and Ellen Tomlinson, 1183 Wyandotte Road, Ray and Gretchen Stegmier,1342 Lincoln Road, and Tom and Leslie Palmer, 1492 Roxbury Road.  A three panel fold out program contained a brief description of the homes and stories of past and present owners, and also served as an admission ticket (shown here) that sold for $1.50. The Westwood Avenue house remains as one of the oldest homes in Grandview. The Fridensteins bought the home in 1960 from the Paddock family, who had lived there since 1909. They maintained some of the wild flowers and gardens that OSU Professor Wendell Paddock had started (Prof. Paddock, also known as the "daffodil man"  was featured in a June 2004 Moment in Time). Details of preservation and remodeling along with histories of past and present owners were outlined In the program. The then new publication by the Historical Society, "Sheltering A Heritage" was also available at each home. The Society's Home Tour again returns on Mother's Day.
Back to top
  Grandview vs Bexley Football - 1928
This football game program tells the story of the eighth annual battle between the Bobcats of Grandview High and Bexley's "Fighting Lions". For eight years the games had been played with the tradition of clean, wholesome athletic competition and the winning games had favored the Bexley Warriors, while the points gathered favored Grandview, 92-60. Old programs saved by high-school students and fans reveal past times enjoyed and the support from the communities as well as businesses placing advertisements and best wishes for a winning game. "When you see me, don't think of Life Insurance but when you think of Life Insurance, see me" was the half-page ad for Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Co. located in the Buckeye Building. Rutherford and Co. Brokers, Miller and Reeves Architects, Dobbs Hats along with Tellings "unequaled quality ice cream" paid for attention in this Bexley game program of October 26th, 1928. The Homecoming game played at Bexley was won by Bexley Fighting Lions, 13-7. As you can see from the notation, it was claimed to be a good game. 
Back to top
  Joe Duffee and Paul Ballard
Twenty-one year old Donald "Joe" Duffee (left) was killed by a sniper's bullet on February 8, 1945, during a patrol near Luzon, Italy, a casualty of World War ll. He was the son of Paul and Cleo Duffee who lived on Morning Avenue in Grandview. A memorial service was held for Joe at Boulevard Presbyterian Church  on May 6 of that year. Mrs. Duffee was an active member of the Blue Star Mothers group for many years. Paul Allen Ballard (right) graduated from Grandview Heights High School in 1966. Paul joined the Army in 1967 and after training was sent to Vietnam. Sergeant Ballard was killed on a night patrol less than two years later on January 20, 1969. He was awarded the Bronze Star, the National Defense Medal and the Purple Heart, along with the Vietnamese Campaign Medal. Paul was also twenty-one years old when he died. These men will be honored with others at roll call on Thursday evening before Memorial Day at the Grandview Memorial Park. This service, hosted by the Blue Star Mothers, is documented by the Grandview Heights/Marble Cliff Historical Society publication, "Final Salute" with pictures and stories of 55 men who fought in World War l, World War ll, Korea and Vietnam. Pictured here are Donald "Joe" Duffee and Paul Allen Ballard both in that publication.
Back to top
  New Streetsigns - 1949
Jule B. Keitz was a mayor of Grandview Heights that wanted to get things done. He ran and won election to the office in 1947 because of his stand on the issue of "wrapped garbage".  He appealed to the citizens to approve his program saying " Grandview housewives can wrap garbage without costing the city or taxpayers one extra penny".  Keitz won the election and proceeded to get an ordinance passed making it illegal to place glass, metal or other injurious materials in garbage cans. After being sworn in on New Year's Day in 1948 the new mayor wasted no time getting his pet projects accomplished. Pictured here the mayor is shown with Grandview businessmen Don Hennen and C.L. Deyo who donated $1180 to buy street signs for the streets of Grandview. 175 signs were erected at street intersections, where the names were formerly marked on the curbsides.  Mayor Keitz sought re-election four years later and lost to A. K. Pierce, who pledged "no city income tax, now or ever". Wrapped garbage was no longer the issue it previously was!
Back to top
  Blanche Field
Blanche Field was pictured here as she announced her return from Chicago after studying classical dance, toe, Oriental and character dancing. She had earlier graduated from the Louis H. Chalif School of Dancing in New York City. The Chalif school was  one of the earliest schools in the United States to instruct teachers in dance. Miss Field was born in Grandview Heights in 1901, lived at 1138 Lincoln Road and graduated from Grandview Heights High School in 1919. Upon her return from Chicago she opened her dance studio. She was already established as a dancer and local dramatic artist. She was known in Grandview for her home and the studio she built at 1714 First Avenue, where she continued to teach dance and kindergarten classes until 1955. Her memories of Grandview playmates and the games they played are recorded in early letters to friends. Though they were separated in later years (Blanche retired to Florida), friends from Lincoln Road days were keeping in touch through memories recorded in letters, newspaper clippings and pictures with names and dates that were saved in "Memory Books", which were very common in that era.
Back to top

Robert Livingston

Robert R. Livingston was only 59 years old when he died in Mt. Carmel hospital of kidney failure in 1958. He had been with the Grandview Police Department since 1937, and was the chief of police for 14 years. Livingston came to Grandview at the age of seven and graduated from Grandview High School in 1920. When Chief Livingston sought work with the Grandview Police Department in 1937 the only vacancy was in the Fire Department, and he worked there for a short time before he transferred into the Police Department. He was well known by the citizens of Grandview and was not always in uniform. Here he is taking time with the children of Parkway Drive in the summer of 1948 to move a snapping turtle from the street into his cruiser. He thought the event warranted a picture, which was captured and saved in the scrapbook of Alleyne Jones. The tallest girl in the back is identified as Suzie Wheeler from Parkway Drive and boy with his hands on his knees is John Shough from Hilo Lane. The other kids are not identified.
Back to top
  Tour de Grandview
As they round the turn on Grandview Avenue cyclists in this photo compete in the Grandview Cycling Classic. In 1994 when John Leitz was mayor of Grandview Heights, the cycling event took place on the hills of the city streets for the first time. The races featured both men and women cyclists in multiple professional categories. Over the now 20 years history the tour has attracted more than 1,000 world-class cyclists and many more spectators because of the demanding hills and turns on the course that snakes through the neighborhood streets. The event has been spearheaded by the City of Grandview Heights, and the Grandview Community Association, which was formed in 2005, now coordinates the community's signature event with activities for spectators and cyclists alike. The volunteer GCA counts on local residents and business people to promote the races and activities for the "health and well being" of the Grandview Heights community. As a result hundreds of volunteers are brought together to promote Ohio's premier Cycling event with thousands of dollars purse money, a win-win activity for all participants.
Back to top
  Blue/Irwin Wedding
Miss Doris Blue and Robert Irwin were married at the home of the bride's mother, Mrs. Maude E. Blue, 963 Franklin Avenue, in June,1936. The groom, Robert Irwin, was a graduate of Grandview Heights High School. Irwin was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Irwin of 1301 Lincoln Road in Grandview. He was a 1930 graduate of the College of Commerce and Business Administration at The Ohio State University. The wedding was an informal affair with members of the family attending. The groom was on the board of directors of the Ohio State Journal after several years of business training with the Ohio National Bank. Mr. Irwin, a well know sailing enthusiast, was commodore of the Buckeye Lake Yacht Club and was a member of long standing with the Buckeye Club and secretary-treasurer of the Inter-Lake Yachting Association. Mr. And Mrs. Irwin made their home at 1773 King Avenue. The pictures and information were taken from the personal scrapbook of Robert W. Irwin in the archives of the Historical Society.
Back to top
  Suzie Hutchison
As co-salutatorian of her class, a member of National Honor Society and winner of the PTA scholarship, Suzie Hutchison, pictured here, could be talking about music, studies, sports, or senior picture plans. She had much to say using the "social media" of the year 1963, as revealed in this photograph from the Grandview Heights High School yearbook. Suzie was chosen as one of the outstanding seniors of that year. She was secretary of the Grandview Athletic Association and a 1000 point letter winner. As Suzie participated in her varied school activities, she remained connected with friends, teachers and her scholastic endeavors by the network of the day, the rotary telephone.
Back to top
  Recycling in 1942
In 1942, official instructions were distributed to certain districts where tin can collections were authorized by the WPB ( War Production Board). Information was made known that tin was an important metal for industry, and sources of tin were cut off for the United States by the war (World War ll). Nearly 90 percent of the nation's tin came from Malaya near Kuala Lumpur and was used in many war industries. Shortages that developed resulted in salvaging efforts never used before the war. The monthly quota that was set was one ton of fully "prepared" tin cans per 1,000 population. Tin cans had never been salvaged commercially to any large extent; therefore the salvage effort was promoted as a patriotic duty, and the volunteer effort was coordinated through salvage committees, defense councils and municipal authorities. The leaflet pictured here showing the can recycling process (top left to lower right) is in the collection of memorabilia of Alleyne Higgs Jones portraying life in the 1940s in Grandview Heights and Marble Cliff.
Back to top






View next 6 months
August, 2013 - February, 2014

Go to Main ThisWeek Listing