Feature articles in Grandview ThisWeek Newspaper
Weekly Moment in Time Column

August, 2012 - February, 2013

View previous 6 months
February, 2012 - August, 2012

Click on an image to view a larger version


7/18 Friends of the Library

7/25 1994 Summer Reading Program 8/1 Summit Chase 8/8 Murray City Coal and Ice
8/15 Aladdin Country Club Caddy 8/22 Panzera's 8/29 Spencer Research 9/5 Burchfield's Auto Shop
9/12 Urlin Mansion 9/19 No Publication 9/26 Rife's Market Correction 10/3 Highlander Staff
10/10 1936 Homecoming 10/17 Marvyth Bonham 10/24 George H.W. Bush Visit 10/31 Guys and Dolls
11/7 Emerald Confectionery 11/14 1972 JV Cheerleaders 11/21 1937 Cruiser 11/28 Bonnie Jean Martin
12/5 Blue Star Mothers 12/12 Johnnie's Glenn Avenue 12/19 Wyman Woods Rock 12/26 No publication
1/3 Deyo Funeral Home 1/10 Little Red School House 1/17 10 Arlington Place 1/24 1932 Grandview Basketball
  Friends of the Library
In 1974 a group of women organized as the Grandview Civic Welfare Club decided to help the Grandview Public Library as a service project. In October of that year the first book sale was held to provide monies for the purpose of helping the Library. The newly organized Friends of the Library performed their first service project, delivering books to the home-bound. Money from the annual book sales has gone toward purchasing a microfilm reader, lighting for the flag pole, Concert on the Lawn expenses and other programing. In the atrium is a statue titled "Young Reader", donated in memory of Mary Scott (founder of  Friends of the Library) by sculptor George Stanescu. This photo shows Bob Bernard, a member of Friends of the Library since 1980, standing beside the sculpture. Bob's mother was Betty Bernard, who became a member of the Friends soon after the group began.
Back to top
  1994 Summer Reading Program
When school is out for the summer the Grandview Heights Public Library is there to "pick up the slack" in reading progress. In 1983 the Children's Reading Club was started to support the Grandview schools in keeping the children reading. In the first summer's programs pictures were taken of the members and posted in the library. Prizes were used as incentives, and rewards are still given today. Pictured here is Jedidiah Newman, 8 1/2 years old, recently modeling the first t-shirt given in 1994 for the most books read during the summer program. His mom, Beth Newman, was a member of the Library's Youth Services Staff and helped plan the 1994 summer reading program. The t-shirts are still given for the most hours of reading completed by today's members (over 1000 students are active during the summer months.) When it started the program was for school age kids, and now includes pre-school and younger children.  The funding of this program is provided In part by The Friends of the Library.
Back to top
  Summit Chase
A much anticipated event took place when Summit Chase, the 23 story high rise in Grandview Heights, was  built in 1965 at 1000 Urlin Avenue, the former site of the Urlin mansion. George Cambridge Urlin, an early entrepreneur with many business interests in Columbus, bought land running from Fifth Avenue, south to Dublin Road, and on the crest of the hill he built his home in 1890. The great Victorian mansion (inset, lower left) stood exactly where Summit Chase stands today. The mansion was torn down in 1950 and plans of building a high rise on the property were in progress. Milton and Claudine France ( the former Claudine Urlin) were married in the tower of the mansion, and ultimately sold the property to the developer, Scioto House, Inc. Claudine Urlin France later maintained an apartment in Summit Chase, precisely one hundred feet above where she was born shortly after her parents George and Alice built the home. The high rise, once proclaimed by Columbus' Mayor Sensenbrener as the best thing for Grandview and Columbus, now contains approximately 175 condos. The street serving the giant building from Goodale Blvd. is the original driveway to the old home shown in the photo. Summit Chase also has the distinction of being the former home for John Glenn, U.S. Senator from Ohio from1974 to 1999, and member of the Astronaut Hall of Fame. 
Back to top
  Murray City Coal and Ice
Murray City Coal and Ice Company was located near Olentangy River Road and Fifth Avenue on Edgehill Road. It was for years co-located with the Boulevard Lumber Company, which was started in 1917 by Henry Miller. The owner of Murray City was Charles H. Boardman, who was active in Marble Cliff politics and activities. This photo shows a fan that was used to promote the company, which Boardman bought in 1919. The photo at the lower right shows the "tipple" that was designed and built by Mr. Boardman, who was a civil and mining engineer by trade, to clean and load coal into the self-dumping Packard delivery trucks or horse-drawn wagons that would move the coal to households in the region. Murray City was one of the most prominent coal suppliers in Columbus, and was connected to some of the largest mines in Ohio and West Virginia. It was the first business to be established in Grandview.
Back to top
  Aladdin Country Club Caddy
In March of 1919, the Shriners of the Aladdin Temple purchased the Arlington Country Club property located north of First Avenue and west of Arlington Avenue. The property included 17 acres of grounds, a club house (shown here), a bowling house, locker and shower buildings, tennis courts and a nine hole golf course that spanned the railroad tracks on the west side of the Village of Marble Cliff. After extensive remodeling and landscaping (with plans to enlarge the golf course to 18 holes) it reopened as the Aladdin Country Club,  "a place for pleasure, entertainment and exercise" for its members. The club expanded its membership with golf as the major sport. The insert is a picture of the badge worn by resident Bernie Nardone, who was a caddie for the golfing Shriners in the year from 1923 to 1924. The club served its members until it closed its doors in 1925. It was never expanded to 18 holes, but many of its influential members left the Club to establish the Scioto Country Club just to the north of the Aladdin, which remains historically one of the first country clubs in central Ohio.
Back to top
  Panzera's Pizza
The Panzera family came to America in 1955 and settled in the Grandview area with seven children. Nick Panzera worked for a bakery making bread, and also at Leonardo's Pizza on First Avenue. While working for others he decided he dreamed that he could start his own business. Nick was 13 and going to Everett Jr. High School when, with encouragement from his algebra teacher (who printed his first menu), he passed out flyers throughout the neighborhood. With help from family and friends, Nick and his 31 years old brother Phil opened their store in 1964 with one oven, making the dough by hand. Experiments with dough making and a sauce recipe from his mother's kitchen kept the business going seven days a week from 4 pm until midnight (2 am on weekends). Business increased and several moves of the store followed, until in 1983 the business moved to its present location on Third and Grandview Avenues. The present owner is Carlo Lombardi, Nick Panzera's nephew. Loyal customers have been eating Panzera's Pizza for almost 50 years since the first pizza purchased by the Fortin family in 1964. Pictured here is Nick Panzera and a young customer, with an insert of the first Panzera's Pizza menu.
Back to top
  Spencer Research
Dwight and Betty Spencer met in Columbus, married and moved to Chicago where they established a business in 1958 called Market Research Consultants. With offices in Chicago and New York, they decided to open a branch in Betty's hometown Columbus. That office was established in 1962 on Broadview Avenue near Grandview Heights. In1985 the company purchased the building located at 1290 Grandview Avenue, across from the Bank Block. It was here that the business first involved the surrounding community, and organizations, schools, churches and residents took part in testing products for manufacturers through Spencer Research. Products such as cereal, beverages, macaroni and cheese, coffee, chewing gum, health foods, frozen dinners, pizza and other products such as lawn care products have been tested. Betty Spencer died in 2001 and Dwight's death followed in 2002. George Maynard purchased Spencer Research, Inc. in 2002 and is the present owner. 
Back to top
  Burchfield's Auto Shop
This building at 1381 W. Third Ave. was built and purchased in 1925, and has always been a business that cares for cars and their owners. Previously owned and operated as an auto repair business , never as a gasoline station, it was purchased in 1969 by George W. Burchfield (inset). His sons Ted and Larry worked for their father throughout their high school and college years. After serving in the Army, Larry came back to the garage to help his father and eventually took over the everyday operation in 1982. The business flourished as the Burchfield reputation grew. Repairing cars and dealing with customer's concerns about their vehicles became second nature with the business. This led to Larry offering advice to and purchasing cars for his customers.
Back to top
  Urlin's Mansion
The home of George and Alice Urlin, two of the earliest residents of the Grandview area, was located on the hill near Goodale Boulevard. It was razed to provide the site of the current Summit Chase tower. Mr. Urlin and several other early pioneers purchased the land on the bluff above what would become Goodale Boulevard with the intent of establishing a small community. He lived in a small farmhouse on the land while his mansion was constructed. When he moved into the new home, he allowed a small group of horseback riders to use the farmhouse for a new club they established, called the Bit and Bridle Club. The members of this club later founded the Arlington Country Club, later called the Aladdin Country Club, in Marble Cliff. Mr. Urlin and his colleagues laid out the plans for what would ultimately become Grandview Heights. Note the cows resting in the field in the foreground, which is near what is now Goodale Blvd.
Back to top
  Rife's Market
Charles and Mamie Rife started their business at 1417 West Fifth Avenue in 1936. They lived across the street in a small brick house across from Rifes Market (shown here in 1946). Charles was a truck farmer, and drove around Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky and Indiana buying produce. The produce was then sold to grocery stores in the area. He started one of the first locally grown foods business in the area, and in 1946 enlarged the store to add a butcher shop selling locally produced meats. The store became noted for buying Blue Ribbon beef winners at the Ohio State Fair, showing them at the store, then selling the meat as one of a few butchers handling Prime Graded beef. The reputation grew and sons Wayne and Paul began helping in the store. Brother Sam and nephew Dick also worked and later took over the business (it is now operated by run by Mary Kay Rife and her husband, Mike Zimmerman). The store began taking on other products includingf Hilliard corn from Elfrink Farms, red and blackberry jams from Champaign Berry Farm and candy from Walnut Creek. 
Back to top
  GHHS Highlander Staff
"At the beginning of the present school year, before any steps had been taken toward the organization of the Highlander staff, it was common knowledge among the students and faculty that the school paper (Highlander) was not serving as large a purpose as was originally intended." This  statement printed in the first annual publication of the Highlander yearbook set the ground work for the formation of a staff to produce not only a newspaper, but to come up with a product much broader and more representative of the school year. The Grandview  High School Annual in 1922 was the product produced. The first book was "Respectfully Dedicated to the Class of Nineteen Twenty Two". The Staff of the Year Book consisted of Editor -in-Chief, Marjorie Hammond, Business Manager, Darrell Smith, along with managers for advertising and Circulation, Society, Literary and Athletic Editors. Faculty advisor, Helen Morrow led the group of some 18 students to produce this trend setter for future yearbooks at the Grandview Schools. The school celebrates the book's ninetieth year of publication. Pictured is the staff of the first High School Annual, 1922.
Back to top
  1936 Homecoming
Staff joined together to honor Miss Betty Schory (on the right) as Homecoming Queen and Miss Joan Forshee as Maid of Honor on November 6th, 1936.  It was the eleventh  anniversary of the first football game between Upper Arlington and Grandview Heights High Schools in 1926. With one attendant, Betty was escorted by the Senior Class President. In the 1937 Highlander, she is noted as a Cheerleader, GAA 4 year leader winner, Highlander Staff member and also part of the cast of the play "Slightly Delirious". It was 1942 before students started electing ten girls to comprise the group from which the queen was selected. The field of ten girls was then narrowed to five, one of which was chosen for the honor of being queen with the remaining four as her court. It would be 2011 before the first King was elected.
Back to top
  Marvyth Bonham
Marvyth Bonham taught school in both Stevenson Elementary and Edison Elementary schools in Grandview Heights from 1928 to 1966. She came highly recommended to the superintendent of the Grandview Heights School system. Her letter of recommendation came with this brief description of the residential suburb of Columbus: "...having about 4000 inhabitants with city street car service at a five cent fare". After the superintendent convinced Marvyth she would be most satisfied here, she accepted the teaching position, then offered at $1100 a year (in 1927).  Numerous photos as early as 1928 are found in Miss Bonham's collection donated to the Grandview Heights/ Marble Cliff Historical Society archives. She is pictured here in 1945 with her first grade class at R.L.S. School.
Back to top
  George H.W. Bush Visit
The campaign trail brought then Vice President George H. W. Bush back to his Marble Cliff roots. The former home of his grandfather, Samuel Bush, was built in 1908 and was sold in 1929 to Anna Dodge Dillman, the former wife of Horace Dodge of the Dodge automotive family. She purchased it as a residence for the family of her new husband, actor Hugh Dillman. She later sold the home to the Carmalite nuns (pictured here). Bush's visit to the St. Raphael Home for the Aged recaptured days spent at the Marble Cliff residence at 1550 Roxbury Road. Sister Maureen Hughes and several other nuns wave to the Vice President as his motorcade pulled away from St. Raphael's in May of 1988. The home was later sold and restored with condos added to form Prescott Place.
Back to top
  Guys and Dolls
Grandview Heights High School has sought to guide and direct her students toward future success in many different ways, as all schools in the United States have worked toward the education of their young people. The students of the class of 1962 were presented with different opportunities to achieve and succeed through the various programs offered them, such as Y-Teens, Future Teachers of America, sports and music programs, and the ever-popular musicals and class plays. Here we see the "Hat Box Girls"  sing and dance their way through the play performances of Guys and Dolls. Pictured here are Marilyn Cornell, Marty Miller, Susie Gugler, Jackie Short, Joyce Guffey, Jessena Yaw, Judy Penzone and Lynn Jones. The class of '62 will be celebrating its 50th anniversary this year.
Back to top
  Emerald Confectionery
This copy of the 1927 announcement for "Get Acquainted Day" at the Emerald Confectionery was discovered in October by a Grandview resident who was renovating a house. It had fallen and was wedged between the plaster wall and the baseboard in the living room of the old home.  The Emerald, owned by D.A. McKeever, was an eatery business located on First Avenue in Grandview; at one time it was housed in the building at 1520 West First, just west of the Masonic Hall at the corner of First and Grandview. It later moved a block west to 1614 (in what became the parking lot of the Grandview Middle School), and in 1930 or 1931 it moved to Upper Arlington, in the shopping strip across from the fire station at the central square. The restaurant was known throughout the area for its comfort food, including steaks and fried chicken, as well as its signature gingerbread.
Back to top
  1972 JV Cheerleaders
As the 70's roared into time, the class of 1972 recognized an era of change. It was this theme that Leslie Nardone (editor of the GH yearbook) chose for the 1972 Highlander. "There's a transformation happening and it's going on all around us. We call this transformation 'change'." New ideas promoting change took place in the High School organizations and in the Student Council. A new advisor, Mr. Horr, helped the Limelighters present various productions. There were future teachers to come from this class as well as future secretaries. The Swing Choir with girls wearing body shirts, hot pants and white boots created new introductions for each popular song. Mr. Weaver and his Grandview Singers hosted the first Jazz workshop in the high school. The 1972 Grandview HIgh School sports teams captured their share of awards, with Jack Low bringing home the first State Championship in wrestling and Mike Lang being the District Heavyweight Champion.The Grandview net men won 2nd place in the first year of Mid-8 tennis and the team was sectional champs in baseball. Pictured here are the Junior Varsity cheerleaders cheering on the 1972 events of change.. Pictured kneeling, Sara Shriner, 1st Row L to R, Terri Bowers, Kathy Kannel, Laura Oswald, Cheryl Rogers, Diane DeWeese, top, Julie Larrick.
Back to top
  1937 Cruiser
In 1930 the village of Grandview, with a population of 4500, was not yet incorporated as a city. The radio cruiser pictured here in 1937 was a great step forward in providing village services. "Old Number 1", as the first cruiser was called, put in force a new idea of police protection with use of the portable radio equipment introduced shortly before by the Columbus Police Department. Lieutenant William Reed (chief of the Grandview force and then village Marshall) along with officer I.N. Neff (in the cruiser) had previously used their own automobiles to patrol the streets. The rapid growth of the villages of Marble Cliff and Grandview necessitated a need for a second and third cruiser and another patrolman, R.E. Hall. The Police force was put to good use. By 1937 two Grandview intersections were found by a W.P.A. survey to have the heaviest traffic in the suburbs. By this time in 1937 Grandview had seen the evolution from a hamlet to a village to a city with a police force, firefighters and a new municipal building.
Back to top
  Bonnie Jean Martin
As the Highlander of 1931 documents the history and prophecy of the class of 1931, post-high school life was looming for all the graduates to be. They willed their talents to fellow schoolmates. They performed in "The Swan" and "The Queen's Husband". They had their baby pictures and class pictures in the yearbook, which was then called the "annual". They had a "Thrift Club" whose object was "to increase the number of accounts in the school bank and to promote regularity in banking". Along with the usual sports, football and basketball, they participated in track, swimming, tennis, and winning the first Central Buckeye League Championship in golf. The Girls' Athletic Association sponsored tennis, hockey, basketball, Ping Pong, Foul Shooting, volleyball, baseball and track. The calendar of the class of 1930-31 had the usual social events, starting with the choosing of the first Homecoming Queen (pictured here). Bonnie Jean Martin was an athlete, class officer of her Freshman class, a singer in the chorus of "Why the Chimes Rang" and was in the cast of "The Swan". She was a member of the L.A.L. Sorority. Bonnie Jean, nicknamed "Johnny", lives in Upper Arlington in the same house she has lived in for 70 years. She has ten grandchildren and twenty five great grandchildren. She was born November 29th, 1913, and will be ninety nine years old this month.
Back to top
  Blue Star Mothers
On February 1, 1943 in Flint, Michigan, 300 mothers met in response to a coupon in the Flint News Advertiser asking mothers of servicemen to complete and return it. By February 6, 1943 the group decided to form an organization and it was reported on the Congressional record. Chapters of the new group were formed in Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, New York, Pennsylvania, Oregon, California, Iowa, and Washington. They called themselves the Blue Star Mothers. The Blue Star Flag was adopted by the organization and was hung in the window of every home with a serviceman, and the blue star was replaced by a gold star for any that were killed while on active duty. The Tri-Village Unit of The Blue Star Mothers was organized October 6, 1943 with more than eighty members. An Honor Board was located at the east end of the Grandview Public Library and the first Memorial Day service was held there on March 26, 1944. As the library expanded the Blue Star Mothers were the driving force for the new and permanent location of Memorial Park at the corner of Oxley Road and Northwest Boulevard. Pictured here at the dedication on May 27, 1970 are Mayor Frank Monaco and Mrs. Elroy Titus. Mrs. Titus became the last of the Tri-Village area's Blue Star Mothers. She died at the age of ninety-one. Although their numbers have decreased over the years, they have again begun to grow. Chapter 9 of the Buckeye Military Moms, today's extension of The Blue Star Mothers, is still serving families and servicemen and women who help to keep our country strong. There are four families that are members of this group from Grandview.
Back to top
  Johnnie's Glenn Avenue
Early in 1920 a grocery store opened at 1491 Glenn Avenue in Grandview. After changing hands several times the store was sold to Joseph and Angelina Sconciafurno (Scono) in 1934. The store was enlarged and the Sconos started serving spaghetti and meat balls, meat ball sandwiches and beer on one side, while continuing to sell groceries on the other. Soon they gave up the groceries and the establishment became known as the Glenn Avenue Grill. In 1943 John Buscemi bought the store and made it the center of the surrounding social life. In 1960 brothers John and Jimmie, sons of Mr. And Mrs. Buscemi (inset), have now owned the store since 1960. It continues to be a gathering place for family and friends.
Back to top
  Wyman Woods Rock
The "rock" at Wyman Woods has a storied background. The boulder, a glacial erratic, was deposited in Wyman Woods around 20,000 years ago. The Stuart R. Harrison family dedicated the boulder with a plaque In the memory of the late Mrs. Stuart Harrison. Pictured here are Grandview Mayor Joseph H. Wyman and  members of Grandview Civiic Welfare, friends of Mrs. Harrison, at the dedication. The Harrison family, long time residents of Grandview Heights, owned and operated the Stu Harrison Restaurant, formerly located on the corner of Fifth Avenue and Grandview Avenue. The unusual boulder can be found at the foot of the hill in the wooded area near the parking lot. The plaque was placed in September of 1970.
Back to top
  Deyo Funeral Home
One of the original homes on First Avenue in the 1920s, 1578 West First Avenue was purchased by Mr C.L "Whitey" Deyo in 1941.  He opened his business as Deyo Funeral Home and started a tradition of personal funeral service to the Tri-Village area. In 1959 Mr Deyo was joined by Ivan L. Davis and the partnership of Deyo-Davis Funeral Home was formed. Mr. Davis is one of the oldest active licensed funeral directors and embalmers in the state of  Ohio. After the death of Mr. Deyo in 1964, Mr Davis took over the service to the community with the name remaining the same. Ivan was later joined by his son, Jeffery, who received his funeral director's license in 1980. With expansion to the original home on West First Avenue and added parking facilities this partnership continues its tradition of personal service to the families of the Tri-Village area.
Back to top
  Little Red School House
The Grandview High School class of 1923 bid adieu to the "little old red school house," as did the other classes that attended there. Seniors were nostalgic, for the building (inset, lower image) had been their home with many cares and traditions for ten years. The village school (located at First and Fairview, also called the Harding School) housed them through numerous eraser fights and petty quarrels and pranks played on it. The rising seniors, juniors, sophomores and freshmen would be moving to what the first graduating seniors would call "The Big Red School House,"  shown in a 1965 photo. As was reported in the 1923 yearbook, "It has been initiated. It no longer (is) a pile of bricks. It's alive, real, a living institution."  As the class of 1924 graduated, it asked whether or not their class lived up to the ideals for which the school stands ... justice, good will, and clean play. They observed that those ideals were the intangible qualities that the students held high as they laid the foundation for future generations. Grandview High School celebrates 90 years in 2013.
Back to top
  10 Arlington Place
Construction equipment frames the former "Castle" owned by Sylvio Casparis, one of the original Marble Cliff Quarry founders and the owner of Casparis Stone Company, circa 1889.The land preparation pictured was part of the plan by Rann Properties, Inc. to restore the manor and carriage house, plus construction of 10 other units designed in the same Jacobean style Frank Packard selected for Mr. Casparis. Patterned after a Scotiish Castle, the new 2.1 million dollar complex was built on the same five acre tract purchased by Casparis in 1907. The new properties were called "10 Arlington Place" (the northern half of Marble Cliff was platted in 1888 and was named "Arlington Place"; the Casparis tract was property #10 on the plat.) This picture was taken in 1978 as new construction was about to begin.
Back to top
  1932 Grandview Basketball
In November of 1932, Coach C.W. Zwick, pictured here in the second row with his Grandview Varsity basketball team, had only two lettermen return to start the year. Prospects for a winning season were not high. With a slow start the team pulled together and found themselves tied with Westerville for second place, and only in the final game lost to Delaware did they fail to capture the Central Buckeye League Championship. Captain Paul Glass and Don Such, along with Captain-elect Bob Wells, led the team to 11 wins out of 16 starts. The Cats also scored 344 points, compared to 329 for their opponents. The defensive record established them as the best guarding five in Central Ohio. The spirit of fair play and teamwork was prevalent throughout the season, earning them splendid backing from their followers from all over the city of Columbus.
Back to top






View next 6 months
February, 2013 - August, 2013

Go to Main ThisWeek Listing