Feature articles in Grandview ThisWeek Newspaper
Weekly Moment in Time Column

February, 2010 - August, 2010

View previous 6 months
August, 2009
- February, 2010

Click on an image to view a larger version


2/3 RLS Classroom

2/10 Valentine's Dance 2/17 Cotton House Move 2/24 1920 GH Schools Menu
3/3 Harding School Memories 3/10 Student Crossing Guards 3/17 Bradley Skeele Reminisences 3/24 1946 Senior Picnic
3/31 Arlington Interior 4/7 1915 Report Card 4/14 Red Cross 4/21 Frame Howell Pony Cart
4/28 No Publication 5/5 Ringling Circus Animals 5/12 Broadview Home Tour 5/19 Jasper White
5/26 Kiddie Korral 6/2 "Spoken For" 6/9 Helen Louise Pinney Perrine 6/16 Laura Titus
6/23 In the Know 6/30 Cross and Crown 7/7 Adonis Fraternity 7/14 Italian Community
  R.L. Stevensen Handwriting Classroom
In 1927 Frank Nugent Freeman published a collection of books entitled "Correlated Handwriting", published by Columbus based Zaner-Bloser Publishing Company. An image in one of the books in the series showed a classroom setting in which the materials associated with the handwriting program were demonstrated. The classroom in the photograph was one of the classrooms in R.L. Stevenson Elementary School in Grandview, shown in this 1929 photo. The labels in the photo refer to the Correlated Handwriting Compendium, the Zaner-Bloser Penholder, the Teachers' Manual, the Penmanship Strip, and a student using the Handwriting Scale, all components of the Correlated Handwriting program.
Back to top
  Valentine's Dance
This undated photograph shows Jean McQuilkin and Michael Moore at what appears to be a formal Valentine's Day dance. Both are wearing crowns with hearts on them and the background is decorated with large valentines featuring couples' names. Mike's has a centerpiece with an arrow piercing the heart. It is not clear who sponsored the event or the significance of their crowns. Both were members of GHHS Class of 1957. If you can provide any additional details regarding this photo please contact the GHMCHS by e-mailing tdemaria@columbus.rr.com
Back to top
  Cotton House Move
Excited neighbors line the street as this two-story frame house was moved from near the corner of Second and Virginia Avenues in August of 1981. Chuck Cotton (inset), Grandview Heights Police Chief at the time, and his family, purchased an empty lot at 1153 Virginia Avenue and moved the house there. Boulevard Presbyterian Church sold the house to the Cottons. Once the house was moved the lot became the church parking lot on the south side of Second Avenue between Virginia and Willard Avenues. The McHugh family currently owns the home.
Back to top
  1920 GH Schools Menu
This report of the Grandview City Schools cafeteria operations was published in the November 1920 Norwester magazine. There were only two school buildings in the district and the cafeteria was in the domestic science classroom in the basement of what is now the east wing of Edison. Students assisted with meal preparation and were given a free 15 cent lunch for their efforts. The report shows that slightly over one hundred students were served each day. The operation showed a profit during five of the six days surveyed. It is hard to imagine that the menus, which included hash, creamed tuna, lima beans, succotash, or beet and egg salad would be embraced by students today (the menu for Monday, October 11 is enlarged in the inset.)
Back to top
  Harding School Memories
The Harding School on Fairview (on the site of the current Kindergarten Annex) was the third formal school for Grandview students. The original school was a one room log building at the intersection of what is now Grandview Avenue and Dublin Road. It was built around 1850. It was replaced by a larger brick building in 1872 as the area population increased. In 1895 the Harding School was built with two rooms. It was expanded to four rooms around a tall central tower three years later. All students attended in this building until the Edison School was built in 1911. The Harding School was razed in 1930. It is shown here in a scan of a page from the memory book of Dorothy (Dot) Williams, which was donated to the Historical Society for their collection.
Back to top
  Student Crossing Guards

This undated photograph shows student patrol guards with their distinctive white sashes and silver-colored badges outside the entrance to the east wing of Edison. The student patrol guard program was phased out in the district years ago, prompted in part by reconfiguration and redistribution of the elementary grades in the district schools. Reconfiguration created a situation where the students were too young in many cases to serve as crossing guards. Adult crossing guards have been provided by the city for many years. If anyone can date this photograph, identify the students, or provide details regarding the student patrol program please contact the GHMCHS at tdemaria@columbus.rr.com

Editor's Note: Following the publication of this Moment in Time, GH resident Brian Kuyper wrote to identify the kids in the photo. According to Brian: "We knew/know most of the sixth grade students from this picture. The ones who
stayed in Grandview graduated in 1964. Top Row from left: Judy Cooper, Nancy Shaeffer; 2nd row from the top: unknown, Sharon Love(?), Jill Boyd (now Kuyper), Holly Hamilton, Judy Penzone, Susie Kelchner, Sandy Boucher; 3rd row from top: unknown, Roger Lawrence, Mike Morris, Doug Wilson, George Ellis, Bill Marland, Jack Ardus; 1st row : Pete Shaw, Tim Underwood, Jim Harris, Curt Wiysel, unknown, Doug Welch. The three unknown students along with Sharon Love (and we are sure that is her) and Tim Underwood did not graduate in Grandview but the others all graduted in the class of '64."

Back to top
  Bradley Skeele Reminiscences
Bradley Skeele was the son of Philip Skeele, who lived in the current Studebaker home at 1492 Roxbury. Bradley wrote several installments of what he called "hodgepodge notes", which were compiled by his son Bob. Bradley is shown in seated on the grass at the far right in this photo of the 1914 Grandview football team, and his memories are featured as the third installment in a series that the Historical Society is calling "Grandview Reminiscences", which will include a new feature each month on their website. You can read articles about the Skeele family and see photos at http://www.ghmchs.org/memories.html Watch for future installments announced in this Moment in Time column.
Back to top
  1946 Senior Picnic
GHHS faculty "ham it up" during the senior class picnic May 24, 1946. Pictured (left to right): Mrs. Mallet, Miss Derivan (business), E.P. Bowers (civics and history), D.W. Blauser (principal), and Russ Cornetet (chemistry and physics). Miss Derivan is offering Mr. Bowers a drink from a pint whiskey bottle (presumably empty?). It is clear from the ties, suits, and fedora that picnics were rather formal affairs sixty-four years ago.
Back to top
  Arlington Country Club Interior
Frank Packard designed the main building for Arlington Riding Club, which would become the Arlington Golf and Riding Club, and later the Arlington Country Club. It was built in 1895 on 150 acres of remote land overlooking the Scioto River on the western edge of Arlington, which would become the Village of Marble Cliff in 1901. The design of the building reflected Packard's "Craftsman" approach to architectural design, which included the use of local materials that reflected the land on which it was built. The Arts and Crafts principles of authentic design and decoration can be seen in this photo of the interior of the clubhouse, showing the simple and rustic elements of the furniture and decorations, with exposed beams and woodwork that lacks embellishment.
Back to top
  1915 Report Card
This 97 year old report card belonged to Alleyne Higgs who was a student in the 6th grade in the Grandview Heights Public School in 1915. The curriculum was rigorous. Students were required to have a 75% average in each subject for promotion to the 7th grade. Alleyne took twelve subjects including agriculture and physiology, which are not part of the normal course of study for current 6th grade students. Alleyne was an outstanding student and was the salutatorian of her senior class.
Back to top
  Red Cross
This 93-year-old photograph shows the members of the Grandview Heights Red Cross "Production Corp" in their regulation uniforms during the 1917 Grandview Field Day celebration. The Women's Bureau of the American Red Cross recruited women across the country to make bandages and knit socks and sweaters for the troops during WWI. From 1917 to 1919 eight million Production Corp members produced over 370 million relief items for the allied armed forces and civilians in war-torn Europe. Mrs. Christian Jeager (far left) is holding a ribbon labeled "Field Day 1917 ".
Back to top
  Frame Howell Pony Cart
Frame Howell is in the front seat of his pony cart, holding the reins and his young cousin, around 1912. Frame lived at 1100 Broadview with his parents Adrienne and Alfred. His pony cart was a regular feature about Grandview and was even used to transport the Field Day Queen one year. Frame graduated from GHHS in 1920. His knickname was "Cocky" and he was an early member of the Brotherhood of the Rooks. This and other photos of the Howell family were donated to the Historical Society by Judith Uhl. Her mother is the young girl Frame is holding in the front of the cart.
Back to top
  Ringling Circus Animals
In a practice that continues to this day, the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus parks its transport train cars on a siding near Grandview Avenue and Goodale Blvd. After the animals disembark from the train, they are moved by their handlers from the train to the tents at the circus location. In this 1952 photograph, the circus horses cross the railroad tracks at the bottom of the Grandview Avenue hill on their way to the circus grounds. The NAPA warehouse is seen in the background.
Back to top
  Broadview Home Tour
Two homes in Grandview Terrace were featured during the successful Mother's Day Home Tour sponsored by the Historical Society. Designed in 1916, Grandview Terrace originally featured a luxurious pool with a fountain fed by a windmill. Rose arbors, large urns, and streetlights further embellished the area. This undated early photograph shows children frolicking in the pool. The "Poor House" at 987 Grandview is in the background. The base of the windmill is to the right. The pool and fountain were removed in the mid 1960's and replaced by an expansive lawn.
Back to top
  Jaspar White
Jasper White was a newlywed in the spring of 1918 and lived at 1452 Wyandotte Rd. When the United States entered WWI he enlisted in the U.S. Army. Tragically, on September 30, 1918, he died of influenza aboard a troop transport ship bound for the European theatre. During the Spanish influenza epidemic this was an all too common occurrence. He never saw his daughter Jayne who was born in  April of 1919. Jayne graduated from GHHS in 1936.
Back to top
  Kiddie Korral
This photograph was taken at the ribbon cutting and grand opening of the "Kiddie Korral" at Grandview's Pierce Field in 1967. Mayor Wyman (man on the left) is standing at the entrance gate with three unidentified participants. The "Kiddie Korral" occupied the fenced area west of the ball field and was designed for children under six. The Grandview Heights Recreation Committee co-coordinated the fundraising effort for this project. The Bobcat Boosters sponsored the $600 "Jack & Jill", the Grandview Business Association paid $277 for the "FlyingPony Swing", and the recreation department contributed $400 for the "Dome Whirl". During the 44 years since the dedication, all of the original equipment, as well as the entrance gate and sign, have been removed. Most of it would probably not meet current safety requirements. The covered area with a picnic table that is currently on the site was part of the "Kiddie Korral" and originally designed as a mothers' shelter.
Back to top
  "Spoken For"
This photograph, from a 1933 newspaper, is from Ruth Shoemaker's scrapbook from the Shoemaker collection in the archives of the Historical Society. It shows Grandview High School co-eds Doris Jordan (left) and Doralene Duffey at the Grandview Pool. Doris is applying the label in lipstick to Doralene's back.The caption of the photo reads: "May I have the next swim? Well, can't you read?" It then comments: "Looks like the idea would also work at dances."
Back to top
  Helen Louise Pinney Perrine
Helen Louise Pinney Perrine was the daughter of Joe and Mabel Pinney, who lived in the current Scaperoth home at 1322 Wyandotte Road. She and her sister Mary were adopted by the Pinney family, and grew up in Grandview. She is shown with her sister and friends in this photograph seated in the center, dressed as Little Miss Muffet. Helen Louise recorded her reminiscences of her life, particularly her childhood, in 2003. These memories are featured as the fourth installment in a series that the Historical Society is calling "Grandview Reminiscences", which will include a new feature each month on their website. You can read articles about the Pinney family and see photos at http://www.ghmchs.org/memories.html Watch for future installments announced in this Moment in Time column.
Back to top
  Laura Titus
Laura Titus, co-founder and sole surviving member of the Tri-Village unit of the Blue Star Mothers passed away on June 5, 2010 at the age of 91. This copyrighted photograph was taken by Ken Frick and reproduced here with his permission. It was featured in his book, 43212-2000 Grandview Heights and Marble Cliff Ohio at the Turn of the Millenium. Mrs. Titus was photographed in front of framed medals belonging to her husband and her son, James, who was killed in Vietnam. Mrs. Titus was the driving force behind the annual Memorial Day service held each Thursday before Memorial Day.
Back to top
  In the Know
WBNS-TV in Columbus created the on-air program "In the Know" in 1966 as a high school trivia show that tested students' knowledge of math, science, history, culture, geography, art, and current events. The top four central Ohio teams competed at the end of each season for academic scholarships. Pictured above is the 1967 Grandview Heights High School team. Pictured (left to right) are: Rick Kuhn, Karen Williams, John Kaumeyer, Pam Parker, and their advisor Mr. James Parker. "In the Know" began at WBNS as a live production, and is one of the nation's longest-running broadcast shows that never went on hiatus. WOSU-TV has produced it the past 27 years.
Back to top
  Cross and Crown
Alleyne Higgs was six years old when she received this "Cross and Crown" certificate on January 31, 1911 for regular attendance at the Grandview Heights Sunday School. Oscar Avery, a prominent local insurance man, was the school's superintendent and signed the certificate. The Sunday school was founded in 1909 in response to citizens' concerns regarding the lack of a local church and Sunday school in the community. Forty children and adults attended the first session that was held April 18, 1909 in the old Harding School on Fairview Avenue. It was such a huge success that by March of 1910 the group made plans for the organization of a Grandview Heights Congregational Church, which was the forerunner of First Community Church.
Back to top
  Adonis Fraternity
The Adonis fraternity sent these two invitations to prospective members (high school boys) in the fall of 1957. The top one is for a rushing party and the bottom one is an invitation to join the fraternity. The Adonis fraternity was formed in 1953. By the late1950's the presence of fraternities and sororities in a high school was considered a major disruptive force by national educators. Locally, the matter was quite contentious. A Board of Education survey of the community indicated that 69% of the parents opposed fraternities and sororities in the high school. The board enacted a policy to prohibit them in 1958. Subsequently in 1960, the State of Ohio passed a law prohibiting all such organizations in high schools.
Back to top
  Italian Community
The original Italian community in Grandview Heights dates to around 1900 and was located on Westwood and Glenn Avenues between Third and Fifth. This map was published 25 years ago in the GHMCHS publication, The Italian Heritage, and lists the resident families and the locations of their homes in the community around 1910-1915. A large pond was located to the west of Glenn Avenue. Assimilation of many of these immigrant families was neither immediate nor easy. Letters in the GHMCHS archives refer to the building of an eight to ten foot high fence, painted dark green, that was erected between Wyandotte and Glenn Avenues. It traversed the entire block and was ostensibly built to confine the Italian community's chickens, goats, and others farm animals. It was constructed around 1910 when Wyandotte Avenue was being developed. It is not known when it was removed.
Back to top






View next 6 months
August, 2010 - February, 2011

Go to Main ThisWeek Listing