Feature articles in Grandview ThisWeek Newspaper
Weekly Moment in Time Column

August, 2008 - February, 2009

View previous 6 months
February, 2008
- August, 2008

Click on an image to view a larger version


7/30 Studebaker Cruisers

8/6 Third and North Star 8/13 Bob Fields 8/20 C.V. Money
8/27 High School Plans 9/3 Grandview Fire Department 9/10 Trinity Church 9/17 Long's Drugs
9/23 Grandview Yard 9/30 Alan Leamy 10/7 Jasper Mead 10/14 Perry Martter
10/21 Gas Ration Volunteers 10/28 Girls' Field Hockey 11/4 West Yard 11/11 Ed Smith
11/18 First and Oakland 11/25 Polkadot School 12/2 Sledding on Stone's Hill 12/9 Urlin Mansion
12/16 !926-27 Boys' Basketball 12/23 Salzgeber Coal Co. 12/30 1927 Girls' Basketball 1/7 Larry Larson
1/14 L.A.L. Sorority 1/21 Aladdin Stock Certificate 1/28 Newhouse home in winter  
  Studebaker Police Cruisers
The Studebaker car company of South Bend, Indiana introduced their Lark compact model in 1959. It was a pioneering design with a small wheelbase, minimal use of chrome, and simple lines. It bucked the conventional low, wide, and long "finned" designs prevalent at the time. A properly tuned Lark, with a V8 engine, could turn 0 to 60 mph in ten seconds, which might explain their use as police vehicles. Shown in the background of the above photo are three Grandview Heights Lark police cruisers. The cruisers appear to be 1960 models. Studebaker ceased operations by 1966. The gentlemen in the picture and the circumstances surrounding the photograph are not known.
Back to top
  Third and North Star
This undated photograph is taken looking northwest from the Grandview Heights High School, which was opened in the fall of 1923. It shows students lounging at their cars parked near the site of the current concession stand at the south end of the stadium at the intersection of Third and North Star Avenues. At the time this photograph was taken there was no stadium, no track, nor tennis courts (the stadium was built as a WPA Project and dedicated in 1938.) Over the next ten years, whenever the opportunity arose, the Board of Education methodically bought parcels of land north of the school to accommodate the expanding sports programs.
Back to top
  Bob Fields
his photograph was taken in 1923 at the northwest corner of Oakland and First Avenues. GHHS graduate Bob Fields (back right, class of 1922) and three unidentified friends sit in and on a Chevrolet roadster having a cigarette break in the parking lot of the Red Crown gasoline station. The station replaced the Hinterschied grocery and general store, which had occupied this corner since 1896. The air pump at the station is visible to the left behind the car. The former Celeste Building (originally Gutches Grandview Market, and later Gaudieri's Cleaners and Tailor Shop), visible at the right, was razed to build the four condominiums presently occupying the northeast corner of the intersection. The 1923 yearbook alumni updates indicated that Bob attended "office training school after graduation and was a full-fledged businessman" and planned to enter OSU in the fall of 1924.
Back to top
  C.V. Money
C. V. ("Red") Money was hired (with considerable fanfare) as the GHHS athletic director in 1925, remaining in the district for only two years. His nickname was derived from the color of his hair. He coached all the boys' team sports but basketball was his forte. During his short tenure his accomplishments were legend. His Bobcat teams played a total of 43 games and won all but 9 of them, and his 1926 basketball team won the Franklin County championship. It was also during his tenure that the Varsity "G" club, which he founded, formally adopted the bobcat as the school mascot. He left Grandview to coach at Hanover College and took Ralph Anderson and Don Frantz, two GHHS star athletes, with him. The Historical Society is indebted to his son Robert for recently donating an amazing selection of GHHS sports memorabilia to our collection.
Back to top
  High School Plans
The first and second floor plans for the Grandview High School were included in the school's first student handbook, THE BLUE BOOK, published in 1926 by the student council for the benefit of incoming students. It is evident from the plans that eighty-two years ago a larger percentage of classroom space was devoted to domestic science, mechanical drawing, commercial typing, shop, and other courses designed for students to enter the work force after receiving their diploma. Sixteen credits were required for graduation, including the only required courses of physical science, English, American History, and physical education. The dual-purpose gym and auditorium with removable seats was state of the art.
Back to top
  Grandview Fire Department
This photograph, taken in July 1941, shows Grandview's 1924 Seagrave fire engine at the rear of the municipal building. The firefighters shown are, left to right, Roy McCollister, Fred Musser, and Frank Turner. The "medium weight" fire truck and the station to house it were part of a 1923 bond issue that was proposed by Mayor Ryder after a financial dispute with the City of Columbus, who had discontinued fire service to Grandview and Marble Cliff. This photo shows the building after the new bay on the right (with the additional two dormers) was added in 1936.
Back to top
  Trinity United Methodist
This 1950 photo shows the construction of the steeple on the Trinity United Methodist Church at 1581 Cambridge, which was opened in 1951. The Church held meetings starting in 1891 in a frame building in a new subdivision at the corner of Fifth and North Star. They later moved their services to the new Harding School on Fairview, while they built a building in 1894 at 1529 North Star. As the membership grew, the Church built a new building across the street at the corner of W. Fifth and North Star in 1902, followed by a building at W. First and Ashland in 1915. The 1951 building was expanded in 1956 and again in 1992.
Back to top
  Long's Drugs
Long's Drugs was located in the Grandview Bank Block at 1275 Grandview Avenue, at the current site of Stauf's Coffee. This 1947 photograph shows a group of Grandview Heights High School students near the front entrance of the local hangout. The drug store had a pharmacy, sandwiches, and a popular ice cream and soda fountain. The facade of the store was removed, and part of the store was eliminated to make way for the breezeway between the front and the back parking area.
Back to top
  Grandview Yard
This turn of the century photo shows the Grandview Yard of the Pennsylvania Railroad, which was on the Piqua line of what was known as the PRR "Panhandle" route. The Piqua line ran from Union Station through Grandview, "Hilliards", Plain City, and Urbana to Piqua. The yard, which was a switch yard (or hump yard) was located south of Goodale Avenue between Grandview Avenue and the Olentangy River. The yard could handle over 660 cars, and was used for interchanging coal cars from the C&O destined for the Sandusky Branch of the PRR or the Chicago route on the Piqua line. It was also used as an overflow yard for PRR Yard A (south of 20th between St. Clair and Taylor Avenues on the east side of Columbus) and Yard B (near Ft. Hayes). In addition the yard was used to reroute stone cars from the Marble Cliff Quarry.
Back to top
  Alan Leamy
Alan H. Leamy was born in Maryland in 1902, and moved to Grandview in 1905 when his father assumed the position of District Manager of the Welsbach Co. which manufactured gas mantels. Alan was fascinated with automobile designs, and at the age of 25 became a stylist for the Marmon Motor Co. in Indianapolis. He later became the chief stylist for Cord/Duesenberg, designing America's first front wheel drive car, the 1929 Cord L-29. Three of his trademark designs, the graceful radiator shell, the artistic hood and the sweeping clamshell fender extending into the running board, were evident in the design of the famous Duesenberg Model J, the 1931 Auburn 8-98, and the LaSalle and Cadillac (inset), designed just before Leamy became the chief stylist at the LaSalle division of GM in 1934. Leamy died at age 33 of septicemia from a medical procedure.
Back to top
  Jasper Mead
The May 1921 edition of The Norwester, the Tri-Village community magazine, featured Jasper "Jap" Mead and his home at 1581 West First Avenue. Jasper spent his entire career working for the Columbus Dispatch, starting in the mailroom and advancing to the head of the advertising department. He and his wife Olive and their children Maxine, Phyllis, and Bobbie are presumed to have been the first residents of this home. Their residence still exists, however due to postal reconfiguration that took place all over Grandview Heights in 1928, the current address is 1463 West First Avenue, just east of the intersection of Grandview and First Avenues.
Back to top
  Perry Martter
Perry Martter was one of thirteen graduates in the GHHS class of 1918. He was a solid academician and played football. His senior yearbook picture is on the lower right. He enrolled in The Ohio State University where he excelled academically as an engineering student and distinguished himself as a member of the wrestling team. He was the team captain at OSU and won the Western Conference welterweight championship for two years. Martter is in the front row center of the OSU wrestling team photo (above) from the 1923 issue of The Ohio State Engineer magazine. He was selected as a member of the 1924 U.S. Olympic team during in Paris, France. The team was composed of 14 members and he was one of 2 wrestlers in his division. After graduation Perry moved to Los Angeles where he joined his father in the construction business. He died in 1954 at the age of 53.
Back to top
  Gas Ration Volunteers
These GHHS senior girls were photographed after volunteering to process gas ration booklets during WWII, and were featured in the September 19, 1944 edition of the Columbus Dispatch. Pictured are (front left to right) Peggy Gammill, Shirley Close, Angela McGrath, and Pat Donovan, and (back) Shirley Ann Arthur, Judy Cash, and Ann Devlin. Unbeknownst to these students the picture and their home addresses were also published in the Columbus Dispatch Service Edition, which was mailed to combat troops from Franklin County. All of the young women received a deluge of letters from soldiers, sailors, and marines from all over the world. None of the letters reportedly contained any marriage proposals. However, Judy Cash received the official title of "Dream Girl of the 163rd Company", a company of seamen from the Great Lakes Naval Training Center in Illinois.
Back to top
  Girl's Field Hockey
This photograph shows what the Historical Society presumes is the 1958 Girls Athletic Association Varsity B field hockey team (the 1958 Highlander only pictures the Varsity A team.) Field hockey was featured for the first time in the 1932 Highlander and appears to have been a girls' intramural activity, eventually becoming a varsity team sport. Generations of GHHS girls participated in the game, but the 2001 academic year appears to have been the final season due to declining interest and the evolution of soccer as a girls' sport in Grandview. The identities of the team members are not known. If anyone can identify any players in this photograph please contact the GHMCHS at tdemaria@columbus.rr.com
Back to top
  West Yard
The Moment in Time in the September 24th issue of ThisWeek featured the Grandview Yard switching facility, but the photograph was of the Columbus West Yard. The GHMCHS apologizes for the error. The Toledo & Ohio Central Rail Road operated the West Yard switchyard for re-routing train cars near the intersection of Grandview and McKinley Avenues, located north of McKinley between Glenwood and Grandview Avenues. The C.O.T.A. Bus garage now occupies the site where the West Yard was located. Switch engines were used to move the train cars and constantly snarled local traffic along Grandview Avenue. This newspaper photograph (inset) from 1952 shows how a gasoline station near the tracks attempted to take advantage of the situation by sympathetically and cleverly suggesting that motorists fill up their tanks while they waited for the trains.
Back to top
  Ed Smith
The late Ed Smith was a 1947 graduate of GHHS and a star scholar-athlete. During his four-year high school career he won seven athletic awards, three in baseball and two each in basketball and football. He was all-CBL in basketball his senior year and achieved a league scoring record of 32 points. Ed was accepted at Harvard where he played basketball for the Harvard Crimson and was captain of the team during the 1950-1951 season. He was selected by the New York Knicks in the first round (6th pick overall) during the 1951 NBA Draft. He played for the Knicks through the 1954 season.
Back to top
  First and Oakland
This photograph is from the "Howdy Neighbor" section of an unidentified 1942 Columbus newspaper. A montage of photographs showed the busy intersection of First and Oakland Avenues looking east. Sohio and Shell gas stations were diagonally across from one another. The building on the northeast corner was the former Celeste Building that was razed to build the condominiums along the east side of Oakland Avenue. McKinley Drug Store at 1655 West First occupied the southwest corner. The Tremaine Electric Shop was next door at 1657 West First. The commercial buildings west of the intersection and south of First Avenue were razed over time to accommodate the expansion of the Grandview Heights Public Library. This particular photograph is from the Joyce Jones Alibrando collection.
Back to top
  Polkadot School
This circa 1900 photograph shows students from the "Polkadot School" standing outside their one room schoolhouse. The school (inset) was located on the west side of Virginia Avenue near Chambers Road and got its name from the fact that it was equally integrated. It served the residents of Sellsville, an unincorporated community bordered by the King and Fifth Avenues (north and south) and the Olentangy River and Virginia Avenue (east and west). It was a vibrant, racially mixed community comprised of blacksmith shops, saloons, truck farms, slaughterhouses, and most notably the winter home of the Sells Brothers' Circus. These photographs are from the 1971 book, Sellsville Circa 1900, written by Carl Weisheimer. It is a rich, detailed compilation of the early history of the community. The names of all the students in the photograph are listed in the book.
Back to top
  Sledding on Stone Hill
A headline in the 1928 edition of the Community Newspaper stated that Grandview Heights claimed to be the sledding center of central Ohio. One of the best places for sledding was the hill fronting the Julius Stone mansion at the intersection of Westwood Avenue and Goodale Boulevard. The above photograph from 1945 shows GHHS students about to descend the hill on a sled with wooden runners. The Stone mansion (background) was razed and the four-acre estate was developed as Stonegate Village. Two homes currently occupy the site of the original mansion. The smiles on the teenagers do not reveal just how dangerous this winter pastime could be. Injuries were frequent and Clarence P. Lauderbaugh, a member of the GHHS class of 1938, died as a result of a sledding accident on this favorite sledding hill. This photograph is from the collection of the late Joyce Jones Alibrando, GHHS class of 1946.
Back to top
  Urlin Mansion
A cow relaxes in the field near Goodale Blvd. and Urlin Avenue. The house on the hill was the home of George Urlin, which was located on the site of Summit Chase, which currently stands on the hill. The field (donated by the Urlins to the city) is now the tennis courts and ball diamond at Mckinley Park. Mr. Urlin and several other early pioneers purchased the land on the bluff above what would become Goodale Boulevard with the intent of establishing a small community. Mr. Urlin was instrumental in the founding of Grandview Heights, as he and his colleagues laid out the plans for what would ultimately become the city. George initially owned a well-known photography studio in downtown Columbus, later branching out into real estate with his Suburban Real Estate Company. He and his wife also donated the property on which the Grandview Library was built, and for the house which was built by the high school fraternity Brotherhood of the Rook.
Back to top
  1926-27 Boys Basketball
The 1926-1927 GHHS boys' basketball team is shown in the above photograph. The season was somewhat of a disappointment since the team hoped to defend their Franklin County Boys' Basketball Championship title. Unfortunately, only three members of the squad were from the previous year's championship team, and the team only won the first and last games they played that year. Through it all, the basketball team was enthusiastically supported by Joseph L.Gaudieri, of Gaudieri's Tailors. His shop was on the northeast corner of First and Oakland Avenues. He paid for this group photograph that was distributed to the boys at their annual banquet at the Arlington Country Club. Gaudieri also underwrote the cost of printing the basketball schedules (see inset). The team photo and schedule are from a collection of sports memorabilia recently donated by descendants of the team's coach, C.V. "Red" Money. He is pictured in the back row on the far left.
Back to top
  Salzgeber Coal Co.
The Salzgaber family played an important role in the settlement and expansion of the Grandview Heights and Marble Cliff area. The family owned a farm on land which is located at First and Grandview Avenue, which they sold to developers for the expansion of Grandview to the east. They moved their truck farming business to Lane Avenue, across from what is now the Lane Avenue Shopping Center. A different spelling of the name is seen here on this truck in a 1920 photo, taken in front of the Salzgaber home at 1237 Grandview Avenue. The Salzgeber Coal company was located off of Fifth Avenue in what became known as Sellsville, the winter quarters of the Sells Bros. Circus.
Back to top
  1927 Girls' Basketball
The GHHS 1927 girls' basketball team, unlike the boys' team featured in this column two weeks ago, enjoyed an undefeated 1926-1927 season. They were recognized as a "powerhouse" by the local press. They were also champions in the 1922-1924 seasons. This photograph from a feature article in the local press shows the team appropriately arranged in a "V" for victory. Margot Younger, the team captain, is in the diamond in the center. The team was coached by Emily Peterson. They defeated St. Mary's, Upper Arlington, Westerville, Munk Florals, Marysville, New Albany, Ohio State School for the Deaf, Canal Winchester, and Bexley. Bexley was by far their fiercest rival. The location of Munk Florals is not known.
Back to top
  Larry Larson
Larry Larson was finishing his first year as the GHHS athletic director when this photograph was taken for the 1979 Highlander. He joined the school district in 1966 and served in many capacities, including head football coach from 1976 to 1982. A living legend, Larry continues to impact the children of the community since he retired. He directs the 5th and 6th grade camp programs and recently starred in the Edison Elementary students' video project entitled Grandview 101. In addition to his signature bow tie, Larry is also well recognized for his boundless energy and his amazing capacity for remembering the names of his former students and their parents. "Mr. High School Sports" was recently the subject of an article by Michael Arace in the December 21, 2008 Columbus Dispatch. It is a tribute well worth reading.
Back to top
  L.A.L. Sorority
This photograph shows GHHS L.A.L. Sorority sisters and their dates at the L.A.L. Commencement Formal on June 4, 1946. They are identified (from l to r) as: Gene Garner, Ann Gebhardt, Jinny Titus, Al Hunt, Joyce Jones, and Bill Merrick. The photograph is from the Joyce Jones Alibrando collection. An admission ticket that Joyce saved indicates that the formal started at 10:00PM and ended at 1:00AM and was held at the Columbus Country Club with music provided by Don Crawford's Orchestra. The cost was $2.00 couple or $1.00 stag. L.A.L. was one of two sororities at Grandview High School. It was founded in 1922 and lasted until 1960 when state law prohibited high school fraternities and sororities.
Back to top
  Aladdin Stock Certificate
Arlington Country Club was developed on 150 acres on the western edge of Marble Cliff in 1895. It was the social center of the suburb until 1919, when it was sold to the Shriners for exclusive use of its members. They renamed it the Aladdin Country Club. Shares of stock were sold to raise the $50,000 needed to finance the purchase of the golf course and clubhouse. This stock certificate for two shares at $50 each was purchased by Horace Willoughby, who was one of the principal owners of Ross-Willoughby Co. and who lived at 1143 Westwood in Grandview.
Back to top
  Newhouse, Winter view

Members of the Clinton Newhouse family gather on the  front porch of their new home at 2020 West Third Avenue after a winter storm around 1900. Their home was one of the first in the Arlington Place subdivision that would eventually evolve into present day Marble Cliff. At the time there were no paved streets or electrical lines leading to the home. Mr. Newhouse was Station Master at Marble Cliff Rail Road Station. Except for a small kitchen addition and cosmetic changes this historic home still stands at the northwest corner of the Arlington and Third Avenues.

Back to top






View next 6 months
February, 2009 - August, 2009

Go to Main ThisWeek Listing